Sunday, November 23, 2008

Something New To Post...

Well, my Dad told me the other day that I needed to post something new, and I told him that I would try to think of something to write about. So Megan helped us out with that.
We went to our ward's Thanksgiving dinner on Friday. After the meal all of the children were playing up on the stage. Megan was up there too and had been doing fine til she decided to get off all by herself(she is quite independent!) She fell head first and broke the fall with her chin. Curtis and I took her home and put her to bed thinking it was like every other fall our little ones have taken.
This morning we woke and she wouldn't eat and cried nonstop. After we called the on-call doctor and were told to take her in, we headed up to the Army Hospital up near Fairbanks. They gave her a CAT scan and found that she had a fracture in her jaw. The oral surgeon was called in and he confirmed the break, but said that we are lucky that Megan was so young. She should heal quickly but we go in next week to make sure that she didn't break the "growth plate", which would be major problems.
She is feeling better and starting to eat more(which has to be liquid or pureed for the next week). She is also on medicine to help with the pain.
We like drugs!!

11 comments:

Camara said...

Oh that poor thing! : ( How are you doing up there? How's your new ward?

zopopee said...

ouch!! hope it is not the "growth plate" things like this make the back of my legs weak. hope you feels better megs.

Johansen Family said...

Poor girl! I hope she heals fast! Good luck!

Gina said...

Bless her heart! Keep us posted on how she's doing.

Erin said...

That's so sad! It looks painful. I'm glad she can eat, or I mean, drink. It would be horrible to have a hungry hurting little girl!

The Obstinant Family said...

Oh my goodness my heart goes out to poor little Megan. I hope that eveything will be okay with her. Is she going to have surgery with her fracture? OH I hope not for her sake.

Callie said...

Oh, poor thing! We are glad she is feeling a little better. And we hope no surgery is needed, although that would mean more drugs. ;)

Jessica B Photography said...

When Jared was 2 he followed some bigger kids off our church stage. He was eating a granola bar, so when I got him it was a bloody chunky mess and I thought he had broken teeth! Luckily it was just a split lip. It looked pretty bad, so we took him to the ER. By the time the doctor saw him, the bleeding had settled down and the doctor said "If I stitch it, it will be traumatizing for him and he'll just chew them out anyway." It looked pretty gross for a few days....

When I was 5, my two older sisters (Hillary being one of them) were doing flips off the top bunk bed. (How you actually do that, I am still trying to figure out) I wanted to do it to, so I fell face first off the top bunk and landed on my chin as well. The result was stitches on the chin and a broken molar that had to be removed and a spacer put in.

It's a good thing kids are so resilient.

Hillary said...

Oh poor girl! How sad! I hope everything works out okay.

Johansen Family said...

I took my boys to the doctors yesterday and saw a picture of Megan!

Melanie said...

Okay, this proves the point that you never know how bad a fall can be! That sure sounded like quite a scare and I really hope that things end up all right. Your family is so cute too. May the holidays be wonderful to you and your family!