Saturday, April 26, 2008

Operation Spirit

Today was a program called Operation Spirit. It is a mini deployment for the kids so that they can see and understand the process that their dads(or moms) go on. It was a really great program. I was glad to go so that I could see what happens too.

They went through their "outprocessing" line where they received their ID cards(which Jake was so excited about, he can't wait to turn 10 and get a real military ID card!) They got their dog tags(which were very close to real with their name and birth date and place on them), their uniforms, power of attorney, immunizations, talked to the Chaplin(where were you Papa?), and then they were on their way.

They took a bus ride to the flightline where they boarded a C130 cargo plane for their trip to "Balad". They got strapped in and got their ear plugs in. The pilots closed the doors and they "flew" to Balad, Iraq.

After they returned home from their deployment a group of soldiers were there to greet them and then show them all of the different planes we have on base. We got to walk around and under the B2 (which we have never been able to before, we always had to stay in a roped off area). The B2s are amazing!

Then they received their awards for their safe and successful deployment.

Jake said that his award was for saving the country. What a hero!

Then they got their face painted like real soldiers.

Sat in Humvees.Watched a military dog attack a "bad" guy. A little scary if you asked me!

Drove Explosive Ordinance robots.

Then finally collapsed in their tent for a nap. We had a great day. It was so great for the kids to see all the different sides of the deployment process. Jake even liked the MREs. Maybe we have some soldiers in training!

5 comments:

Amanda said...

What a neat program!! My boys would have loved to have gone.

Dennis said...

Will says sign me up too.

Gina said...

What a great experience for them. I love Jake's comment about saving the country. He's right; that's what our military does! I hope you are enjoying your new house!

JRome said...

Wow! That's awesome. Hope they didn't have to wait for at least 5 hours waiting for their plane!

Running those deployment lines were some of my most memorable memories during active duty. Glad you guys got to see it (minus the headaches :).

The Obstinant Family said...

Okay so I wanted to do that with my kids, but my husband never got more info on it. I hope it was fun. So I changed my profile name, can you still see my page? Let me know, because my sister was having problems as well. And since I'm new to this whole thing I don't know what's goin on. But instead of the Obstinant Family, I changed it to The Obstinant Family Does that make sense? Okay I'm rambling and tired. Talk to you later.